Steady progress

 First thing to say is that as yet, none of the major bits are back from being refurbed or modified, so I haven't got the suspension on on done any of that exciting stuff yet. However, I have done a few more bits that were good to get out of the way.

I modified, painted, and fitted the steering column:


In the second picture there, I should probably add that yes, I did pretend to drive it and yes, I did make broom broom noises. There are two kinds of kit builders - those who admit to doing that and those who are lying.
I finished fitting the fuel system at the back. I now have fuel lines running in conduit from the fuel pump to the filter and on forward, and then the return back to the tank plumbed in as well


I have fitted and done the initial setup as recommended by MK on all the rose joints so the suspension can go on as soon as the uprights get here.

I also cleaned and painted the gearbox in my home spray booth!

Looks nice huh?! Well, yes and no. I am pretty sure I am going to need to redo it - I don't think I got it anywhere near clean enough so it needs a good scrub, pressure wash and respray. I also think the garage was a bit too cold so the paint has "bloomed' in places. Not ideal but the only thing I am wasting here is a little bit of spray paint and some elbow grease.

What else - I have dissassembled the engine down to about this state:

As soon as the sump is back I need to re-fit that, and then i can think about the clean/respray on that. The sump and the rocker cover are relatively straightforward, but the block in the middle looks like a bit of a headache. I think I'll get the oven cleaner on it, give it a good scrub and see where i get to.

Last bit today - I trimmed my clutch fork. This stops it fouling on the bulkhead in use as the tolerances are all a bit tight once the engine is in.
So this week I suspect I will be;
Test fitting the seats. Apparently this is much easier to do before the sides of the car go on.
Running the loom into the car. I want to have a quick look at what goes where and how many bushes I need for it etc.
Cleaning the mating surfaces on the loom and diff. This is probably the most important job to get right as it will stop the important bits of the car leaking everywhere. As soon as the parts arrive back, I can then fit them, which will be big meaty bits of the project to get out of the way.

In short, things are just starting to get good!


Comments

  1. Just to say this is inspiring stuff, I'm almost in the exact same situation as yourself with seemingly similar goals! Much appreciate the effort and insight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries - if you want to chat about it login with an ID I can see and we can discuss!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Been a while

Frustration

Catch up